City officials respond after $50M lawsuit filed by Guardiola family in Canandaigua

One year to the day that Sandy Guardiola was shot and killed inside her apartment by an off-duty Canandaigua Police officer, Guardiola’s family will be addressing the public.

A wrongful death lawsuit is being filed by the family and Guardiola’s estate against the City of Canandaigua, the Canandaigua Police Chief and Sgt. Kadien, NYS DOCCS Parole officials, and multiple property management companies.

The lawsuit alleges Guardiola was killed in violation of her fourth and 15th Amendment rights and state constitutional rights. It seeks at least $50 million in damages.

Guardiola was a New York state parole officer who had been in a car accident in late summer 2017. She was scheduled to return to work on October 4, 2017, but did not respond to multiple attempts to contact her. Sgt. Scott Kaiden with the Canandaigua Police Department was sent to conduct a welfare check at Guardiola’s apartment on Pinnacle North in Canandaigua.

When Guardiola did not respond to attempts to get in touch with her, Kadien was let into her apartment by Pinnacle North personnel, police say.

State Police said Sgt. Kadien then entered the bedroom and saw Guardiola in bed. The two briefly exchanged words and Kadien stepped out of the room. A few moments later, Kadien went back into the room, at which time he saw Guardiola with her gun.

Read more from 13WHAM.com

City Manager John Goodwin released the following statement after the press conference:

“Like many today, we watched the press conference and continue to express our condolences to the Guardiola family for their loss. As mentioned in the press conference, a complaint was filed in the federal court and we look forward to a judicial resolution. The City’s general policy is to not comment on ongoing litigation.

We find it important to remind the community that this matter was independently and fully investigated by the New York State Police and they concluded that our officer’s conduct was justified. The results of that investigation were also presented by the Ontario County District Attorney’s Office to a grand jury. The grand jury determined that there were not grounds to support an indictment.

Again, we express our sympathies to the Guardiola family. Questions regarding the investigation and grand jury should be referred to the New York State Police or Ontario County District Attorney’s Office.”

Also on FingerLakes1.com