The Sept. 1 gridiron clash with Central Connecticut State will mark the 128th season opener for the Syracuse football team. It will be the first time the Orange and the Blue Devils square off in football.
Here are some notable numbers from Syracuse season openers:
- With a victory in last season’s schedule starter against Colgate, Syracuse improved to 81-42-4 (.654) in openers.
- Syracuse has a modest three-game winning streak in campaign beginners. The Orange defeated Villanova (27-26, 2OT) to start the streak in 2014. Victories against Rhode Island (47-0) and Colgate (33-7) followed.
- Heading into the 2017 season, 91 of the 127 previous season openers have been home games for the Orange.
- Syracuse is 69-18-4 (.780) in season starters at home.
- The Orange began its campaign at home in each season from 1900-55. Syracuse was 48-5-2 (.891) during that stretch of season beginners.
Syracuse was an unbeaten 41-0-2 for the first 43 openers of that streak.
Cuse.com: Read More
MORE ORANGE PREGAME COVERAGE:
– Syracuse football opponent preview: What to know about Central Connecticut State (Daily Orange)
– Syracuse will wear blue helmets, jerseys in opener vs. Central Connecticut (NunesMagician.com)
– Dino Babers says his teams break through in 2nd season: Will Syracuse do it? (Syracuse.com)
– Grandsons of former Syracuse national champion lead Central Connecticut State (Daily Orange)
– Dino Babers: Syracuse’s defensive line and defensive back groups ‘greatly improved’ (Daily Orange)
– Dino Babers: Steve Ishmael should be clear focal point of Syracuse passing game (NunesMagician.com)
– Can Syracuse afford to have Eric Dungey run less? (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse football defensive line features improved cohesion, promising newcomers (Syracuse.com)
– Syracuse football: Which true freshmen will play, redshirt this season? (Syracuse.com)
– Syracuse football safety Devon Clarke ineligible to play in 2017 (Syracuse.com)
– Get to know Central Connecticut State, Syracuse’s first opponent (Syracuse.com)