Details emerge in airplane crash at Ovid Airport; two sent to hospital

Seneca County Sheriff Tim Luce has shed some light on the circumstances, which led to two individuals being sent to the hospital after an accident involving a single engine plane at Ovid Sky Diving.

Luce says a small 1957 Cessna 182A single engine craft was reported to have had a possible mechanical problem, resulting in a low power situation.

The pilot attempted to get back to the Ovid Airport but was unable to reach it, and had to make a soft field landing, in a plowed field, just north west of the Ovid Airport.

According to deputies, the plane traveled a short distance, apparently caught in the rough terrain and then flipped over before coming to a rest on its top.

The pilot was identified as 22-year-old Conner Carey, of Ovid, who was able to get himself out of the flipped plane. He walked back to the Ovid Airport, according to deputies, where he was checked over at the scene and transported to Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, Pennsylvania.

Deputies learned prior to that incident Perry Sickler, 49, of Endicott — who had 1,000 jumps under his belt as a skydiver — suffered minor injuries after attempting a landing maneuver.

They say Sickler jumped from the plane that suffered mechanical issues. He was transported to Cayuga Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries.

The Seneca County Sheriff’s Office remains on scene and will be assisting the FAA in the ongoing investigation.

Original Report

Two incidents are under investigation, according to officials after a skydiver with more than 1,000 jumps under his belt suffered an injury while performing a landing maneuver.

Around the same time, the pilot of the aircraft, which had carried the injured skydiver before the incident happened was forced to make an emergency landing in a field near the airport.

The pilot was not injured during the crash.

Additional details, including the condition of the skydiver with an injured hip — were not clarified. The FAA and other local authorities were notified. An investigation is underway into the incident.


Also on FingerLakes1.com