Maria Walton, who retired from her music teacher’s job at Perkins School at the end of the 2017-18 school year, is continuing this year as a volunteer to help the Newark Food Closet.
She’s asking folks who’ll be attending the 12 music concerts in the school district this year to bring one or more non-perishable food items with them that will be given to the Food Closet.
“Last year we collected a total of 633 items and we are hoping to beat that this year,” Walton said, noting that there are over 700 students in Newark schools involved in music.
“If their families, friends and relatives attend their concerts and bring a food item to donate with them, that will really help the Newark Food Closet,” Walton said. “The Food Closet always gets a lot of donations during the holiday season, but then it drops off drastically in winter and spring. I am hoping that people will bring food items to all of our concerts. I am hoping people will associate going to a concert with making a donation to the Food Closet.
The Newark Food Closet currently serves over 1,200 families from Newark, Port Gibson and East Palmyra.
Walton will be collecting food at each of the following concerts this school year:
- 6th Grade Band/Chorus Concert, 7PM November 29th, Middle School Auditorium
- 7th and 8th Grade Band/Chorus Holiday Concert, 7:30PM, December 5th, Middle School Auditorium
- Kelley School Band and Choir Holiday Concert, 7PM, December 13th, Kelley School Auditorium
- High School Bands/Choirs Holiday Concert, 7:30PM, December 17th, High School Auditorium
- Grades 4-12 Cavalcade of Bands, 7PM, March 12th, High School Gymnasium
- Grades 3-12 Choral Concert, 7PM, March 19th, High School Auditorium
- Spring Band Concert, 7:30PM, April 22nd, High School Auditorium
- Kelley School Concert featuring Beginning Band/Continuing Band, Bucket Brigade, 4th and 5th Grade Choruses, 7PM May 30th in the Kelley School Auditorium
- High School Band Spring Concert, 7:30PM, June 3rd, High School Auditorium
- 6th, 7th and 8th Grade Band Concert, 7PM, June 4th Middle School Auditorium
- High School Choral Spring Concert, 7:30PM, June 5th, High School Auditorium
- 6th, 7th, and 8th Grade Chorus Concert, 7PM, June 6th, Middle School Auditorium