Doubledays drop first game, come up big in game 2 vs. Williamsport

The fans at Falcon Park were in for a treat Thursday after a wet and noisy Wednesday. Extreme thunderstorms cut Game 1 of the Doubledays’ three-game series against the Crosscutters short, which led to the contest picking back up at the bottom of the fourth with Game 2 being played 30 minutes after the conclusion.

Though the Doubledays weren’t able to take Game 1, they roared back in Game 2 to secure an entertaining 5-1 win over the Crosscutters.

The game kicked off on a fast note as Doubledays starting pitcher Jake Irvin began to quickly set down the Crosscutters’ lineup. He allowed leadoff singles in both the first and second innings but worked around them with ease – retiring the next three batters on each occasion to keep his Auburn ERA at 0.00.

While Irvin had his third straight scoreless appearance since being promoted to the Doubledays, Williamsport began their stockpile of runs in the third inning off of Colin Morse. Morse had by far his worse outing of the season after allowing six earned runs over 1.2 innings. He allowed three runs in the fourth inning after giving up a run in the third on a bases-loaded sacrifice fly, and two more scored after Gilberto Chu could not keep his inherited runners on base. Chu eventually got out of the inning but not until 5 runs crossed the plate.

The game, however, would temporarily end there due to torrential downpours above Falcon Park. The contest resumed the next day with Nic Perkins leading off the bottom of the fourth.

Little would change the rest of the way through the game, even with well over 20 hours passing to break up the Crosscutters’ momentum. Tyler Carr picked up the win Williamsport after throwing three scoreless innings with Randy Alcantara closing it out. The Doubledays did manage to throw one more run up thanks to a Ricardo Mendez homerun. Mendez’s first run of the season soared over the right field wall, making it a final score of 7-2 in the Crosscutters’ favor.

Game 2 was a much closer affair with both teams being one-hit deep into the contest. Luis Reyes was on fire during his rehab outing with the Doubledays – going four scoreless innings while allowing only one hit – with Crosscutters starter Juan Escorcia blanking the Doubledays into the fifth.

The game remained scoreless until the top of the fifth when the Crosscutters put their first runner – Brayan Gonzalez – into scoring position. He reached second base after a collision between Jamori Blash and reliever Aaron Fletcher, and then scored on a throwing error by Carson Shaddy.

But the Doubledays’ persistence was not hindered after that unearned run. They were finally able to figure out Escorcia and knocked him out of the game after hitting a double and working two walks. Then, with Blake Bennett now pitching, Pablo O’Connor walked in a run and back-to-back doubles by Nic Perkins and Wilmer Perez made it a 5-1 game.

Aaron Barrett slammed the door after a scoreless seventh inning to give the Doubledays their 5-1 win to split the action on the day.

The Doubledays will be back in action Friday – their last regular season home game of the season – at 6:30 PM against the Crosscutters. If you can’t make it to Falcon Park, listen live on FingerLakes1.com Radio.

By Chris Valentino Tril

Also on FingerLakes1.com