The Clift Park and Skaneateles Country Club beaches have been closed to swimming due to the visual presence of an algal bloom, the Onondaga County Health Department said Tuesday.
In a press release, the health department said the closures in the town of Skaneateles were taken as a “precaution,” and water sampling would be conducted to confirm there are no toxins before the beaches are reopened.
Meanwhile, the health department said people should not swim, wade, boat or fish near blooms, which can turn the water green and form thick surface scums on the water. Certain types of algae can release toxins that may cause skin or eye irritation and diarrhea and vomiting if ingested. People and animals should keep out of the water where algal blooms are present.