Syracuse’s (23-14) magical run in the NCAA Tournament comes to an end in the Sweet 16 after a 69-65 loss to Duke (29-7) Friday night at CentruyLink Center.
Sophomore Tyus Battle led the Orange with 19 points and five assists. Freshman Oshae Brissett added 15 points with seven rebounds and freshman Marek Dolezaj totaled 13 points. Marvin Bagley III paced the Blue Devils with 22 points and eight rebounds. Grayson Allen finished with 15 points and eight assists and Wendell Carter Jr. posted 14 points with 12 boards.
Syracuse trailed by nine (62-53) with 4:14 remaining. Brissett made a layup, Battle drained a three and Brissett knocked down a jumper. Gary Trent Jr. stretched the Duke lead back to five with a jumper. The two sides traded a pair of free throws and a Dolezaj tip-in pulled Syracuse within three with 13 seconds to play.
The Orange fouled on the ensuing possession and the Blue Devils missed the front-end of the 1-and-1 giving Syracuse the ball with 12 seconds remaining. Duke elected to foul and prevented the Orange from attempting a potential game-tying three. Battle made 1-of-2 free throws to trim the deficit to two. Trent Jr. sealed the victory for the Blue Devils with a pair of free throws with six seconds to go.
- ‘Cuse topped by Duke in Sweet 16 (Cuse.com)
- Syracuse’s NCAA Tournament run ends with loss in Sweet 16 (Syracuse.com)
- Syracuse’s season slips away in Sweet 16 loss to Duke (Daily Orange)
- Sweet 16: Duke 69, Syracuse 65 (NunesMagician.com)
- – Box Score (Syracuse.com)
POSTGAME PRESS CONFERENCE:
– Fast reaction: 3 takeaways from Syracuse’s 69-65 loss to Duke (Daily Orange)
– Fan reactions to Syracuse’s 69-65 loss to 2nd-ranked Duke (Daily Orange)
– Syracuse basketball forward Oshae Brissett discusses future (video) (Syracuse.com)
— Syracuse Men’s Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) March 24, 2018
The Syracuse men’s basketball team pulled off its biggest upset of the season to topple Michigan State in the Sweet 16. The Orange will need to do it again to get past Duke and into the Elite Eight.
Syracuse has not been favored in any of its three NCAA Tournament wins so far and is currently an 11.5-point underdog for Friday’s game against Duke, according to VegasInsider.com. The game is scheduled to start around 9:37 p.m. and be played on Friday at Omaha’s CenturyLink Center.
Syracuse (23-13) is the No. 11 seed in the Midwest Region, while Duke (28-7) is the No. 2 seed. The winner will play the winner of Friday’s game between No. 1 Kansas and No. 4 Clemson.
Syracuse is by far the biggest underdog in the Sweet 16. Florida State is the next biggest, currently considered a 6.5-point underdog against Gonzaga. Read More
– Sweet 16: ‘Cuse vs. Duke (Cuse.com)
– What channel is Syracuse basketball vs. Duke (Sweet 16) on? TV, time, live stream (Syracuse.com)
– Opponent Preview: What to know about No. 2 seed Duke (Daily Orange)
– Syracuse basketball vs. Duke (Sweet 16): 10 things to watch for (Syracuse.com)
– TNIAAP: Syracuse vs. Duke Sweet 16 preview (NunesMagician.com)
– Orange in Omaha (Cuse.com)
– Photos: CNY pumped up for Syracuse vs. Duke (CNY Central)
– Tyus Battle jumps into 1st round in ESPN’s mock draft (Syracuse.com)
– Syracuse basketball will need a Big 4 with Marek Dolezaj in middle of Duke zone (Syracuse.com)
– 3 things Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said before the Sweet 16 (Daily Orange)
– 3 things Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said before the Sweet 16 (Daily Orange)
– Syracuse defense: What changed since BC torched Orange for 85 points? (Syracuse.com)
– Oshae Brissett looks to avoid getting ‘Duked’ again (Syracuse.com)
– Inside Syracuse freshman forward Oshae Brissett’s rise to stardom (Daily Orange)
– I bet against Jim Boeheim… then I got stuck in Istanbul (Daily Orange)
– Jim Boeheim recalls last game as a player: ‘Somehow we blew the game’ (Daily Orange)
– Marek Dolezaj’s family will root for Syracuse basketball in Slovakia 5,000 miles away (Syracuse.com)
– A look at Syracuse’s Sweet 16 history under Jim Boeheim (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse’s Sweet 16 hype video has you running through a wall (NunesMagician.com)
– Don’t mess with Syracuse: This one’s for you, Omaha (video) (Syracuse.com)
– Links: Jim Boeheim becomes master of exceeding March expectations (NunesMagician.com)
– Boeheim’s final Syracuse game as a player was loss to Duke in 1966 (Syracuse.com)
– 2018 Sweet 16: Jay Bilas and Ryan Blackwell talk Syracuse-Duke (podcast) (Syracuse.com)
MORE SYRACUSE-DUKE COVERAGE ONLINE:
– Latest Syracuse vs. Duke matchup tries again to light rivalry fuse (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse commit Buddy Boeheim on Sweet 16 run: ‘What they’re doing is a big goal of mine’ (Daily Orange)
– Can Syracuse basketball crash the party and beat Duke in the Sweet 16? (video) (Syracuse.com)
– Coach K found the best way to beat Jim Boeheim was to (sort of) become him (NunesMagician.com)
– Beat writers split on Syracuse’s Sweet 16 matchup with 2nd-ranked Duke (Daily Orange)
– Syracuse coaches look to turn Sweet 16 run into 2019 recruiting wins (Syracuse.com)
– For the Win: Syracuse basketball’s 2-3 zone is ‘unwatchable’ (Syracuse.com)
– As timeouts lengthen, Jim Boeheim has learned to keep it brief (Daily Orange)
– Which Midwest regional team would Syracuse rather play? (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse offends next NCAA Tournament city with ‘flat and farms’ comment (Syracuse.com)