First round games in the 2018 Section V boys and girls tournaments were contested on Tuesday night across the region with many Wayne-Finger Lakes teams advancing to the quarterfinals, and others seeing their season come to an end. Check out all the results by classification below along with Wednesday night’s schedule.
|FL1 Sports will bring you live coverage of two quarterfinal games this weekend on FL1 Radio with full video replay the following day…
FRIDAY NIGHT at 6 PM:
SATURDAY NIGHT at 7 PM:
BOYS TUESDAY NIGHT RESULTS BY CLASSIFICATION:
BOYS CLASS AA
* Victor saw their season come to an end with a 85-58 loss on the road at McQuaid Jesuit.
— Jack Haley (@jackhaley42) February 21, 2018
BOYS CLASS C1
* The Marcus Whitman Wildcats advance to face the 4th seed LeRoy with a convincing 55-32 win over Williamson. The Gananda Blue Panthers defeated Canisteo -Greenwood 84-50 and will now face #2 Pembroke who is undefeated at 21-0 on the season. In a battle of Wayne County foes, East Rochester defended their home court to advance past Sodus 33-32. NR-Wolcott and Red Creek saw their seasons come to a close with losses to top seeds.
— Whitman Athletics (@MWWildcats) February 21, 2018
— Andy Lipari (@alipari27) February 21, 2018
— GanandaBluePanthers (@GHSAthletics1) February 21, 2018
BOYS CLASS C2
* Three of the four Wayne-Finger Lakes teams, all from the FL West, were eliminated on Tuesday night. The lone survivor was the Lyons Lions who defeated Rochester Prep 73-61 at the Atwood Gymnasium in Lyons. Justice Smith led Lyons with 35 points and 11 rebounds. Kerel Kelly also had a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. #9 seed Bloomfield and senior Pat Geitner saw their season come to a close with a 63-61 loss to Rochester Academy. #10 South Seneca lost by 14 at Cuba Rushford, and #13 Red Jacket lost to C.G, Finney 65-54.
Survive and advance.
— Zac Young (@Zacyoung25ad) February 21, 2018
— Cal-Mum Basketball (@CalMumHoops) February 21, 2018
BOYS CLASS D2
* The lone Wayne-Finger Lakes team in the boys Class D2 bracket was eliminated by a score of 52-49 as Romulus lost at Hammondsport. The Warriors had defeated the Lakers twice this season but the third time was a charm for Hammondsport. Parker Watson led the Lakers with 18 points. Mauricio Mercedes-Rivera led Romulus with 21 points in the loss.
GIRLS CLASS A1
* The #2 Canandaigua Lady Braves learned their opponent for the Quarterfinals on Friday night as Wilson-Magnet defeated Eastridge 75-35.
GIRLS CLASS A2
* The Wayne Eagles girls varsity basketball team was eliminated by East High, 71-56.
GIRLS CLASS B
* Midlakes improved to 21-0 and advance to face Pal-Mac on Friday night (LIVE on FL1 Radio) as the Red Raiders defeated Attica 52-37. Midlakes rolled past Women’s Prep. 81-27. Waterloo took a long drive to Wellsville and had their season ended 51-32. Penn Yan was the second FL East team to drop out of the tournament with a 60-46 loss at home to Dansville. Sydney Bloom had 21 points in the loss. The #6 Mynderse Blue Devils used a big second half to run away from Hornell 54-35. Mynderse seniors Hannah Brown-Trice and Hannah Lang scored 12 points each while eight grader Gretchen Perine scored 9 points. The Lady Blue Devils will travel to face #3 Bath-Haverling on Friday night. Bath-Haverling split with Hornell, the team Mynderse just beat, during the regular reason.
At the half of the Section V Class B girls opening round in Seneca Falls… Mynderse 23, Hornell 16 pic.twitter.com/TVB0wJbVUW
— FingerLakes1.com (@FingerLakes1) February 21, 2018
It’s a WIN for the Lady Blue Devils as they defeat Hornell 54-35!!! On to Round 2! Go MA!!! #MAPROUD #SFCSDPROUD #BLUEDEVILNATION #LADYBLUEDEVILS @FingerLakes1 @bmckeveny @jjDandC @RocDevo @DandC pic.twitter.com/EbXbBNRgl2
— Seneca Falls CSD (@SenecaFallsCSD) February 21, 2018
GIRLS CLASS D1
* Haylea Langan led her Naples Big Green into the second round of the girls Class D1 tournament with a 49-35 win over fellow Finger Lakes West competitor Honeoye. Langan scored 17 points and grabbed 18 rebounds. Faith Glovine scored 12 and Sarah Glovine pulled down 12 rebounds in the win as Naples advances to face Pavilion on Friday night. HAC, Clyde-Savannah and Dundee all bowed out of the postseason with losses on Tuesday night.
— David C. Bills (@jdbillscnzm) February 21, 2018
Wolves down 24-39 at the start of the 4th quarter. pic.twitter.com/pDK8TIDaVe
— HACAthletics (@HACAthletics) February 21, 2018
WAYNE-FINGER LAKES REMAINING TEAMS:
WEDNESDAY NIGHT WAYNE-FINGER LAKES SECTIONALS SCHEDULE:
BOYS CLASS A1
#11 Franklin @ #6 Canandaigua 6 pm
BOYS CLASS A2
#7 Monroe @ #10 Geneva 4:30 pm
BOYS CLASS B
#16 Attica vs #1 Mynderse @ Newark HS 7 pm
#9 Newark @ #8 Wellsville 7:30 pm
#15 Greece-Olympia @ #2 Penn Yan 7 pm
#10 Wayland-Cohocton @ #7 Pal-Mac 7 pm
#14 Waterloo @ #3 Livonia 7 pm
#11 Midlakes @ #6 World of Inquiry 5 pm
BOYS CLASS D1
#17 Kendall @ #1 Clyde-Savannah 7 pm
#13 Lyndonville @ #4 HAC 7 pm
#10 Naples @ #7 York 6 pm
#11 Bolivar-Richburg @ #6 Honeoye
GIRLS CLASS AA
Gates @ Victor 6 pm
GIRLS CLASS C1
Avon @ Gananda 7 pm
Sodus @ Letchworth 7 pm
Williamson @ Addison 6 pm
NR-Wolcott @ Byron-Bergen 6 pm
Perry @ Red Jacket 7:30 pm
East Rochester @ ND-Batavia 6 pm
Marcus Whitman @ Pembroke 7 pm
GIRLS CLASS C2
Campbell-Savona @ Bloomfield 6 pm
Warsaw @ South Seneca 5:30 pm
Lyons @ Caledonia-Mumford 7 pm
GIRLS CLASS D2
Jasper-Troupsburg @ Romulus 7 pm