Sophomore Tyus Battle finished with 22 points and six rebounds to lead Syracuse (11-2) to a 62-47 victory over Eastern Michigan (8-4) Wednesday night in the Carrier Dome. The Orange outscored to Eagles 38-23 in the second half to secure the win.
Junior Paschal Chukwu totaled career-highs of 15 points and 12 rebounds along with five blocks. Chukwu finished the game 9-of-11 (81.8 percent) from the foul line.
Freshman Oshae Brissett recorded his seventh double-double of the season with 11 points and 12 boards and junior Frank Howard added 11 points, seven assists and four steals.
- Strong second half leads ‘Cuse past EMU (Cuse.com)
- Syracuse basketball defeats Eastern Michigan 62-47 (Syracuse.com)
- Syracuse tops Eastern Michigan, 62-47, finishes nonconference play 11-2 (Daily Orange)
- Syracuse 62, EMU 47: Orange win on career night from Chukwu (NunesMagician.com)
- Syracuse basketball box score vs. Eastern Michigan (Syracuse.com)
COACH BOEHEIM POSTGAME:
MORE POSTGAME COVERAGE:
– Tyus Battle shakes mini-slump, explodes for 16 second-half points (Syracuse.com)
– Bourama Sidibe could still take medical redshirt this season (Daily Orange)
– Best and worst from Syracuse basketball vs. Eastern Michigan (Syracuse.com)
– Fan reactions to Syracuse’s 62-47 win over Eastern Michigan (Daily Orange)
– Three takeaways from Syracuse’s 62-47 win over Eastern Michigan (NunesMagician.com)
– Paschal Chukwu, Syracuse basketball’s only healthy center, has career night (Syracuse.com)
– Jim Boeheim said freshman Bourama Sidibe might medically redshirt (Syracuse.com)
Tonight's Carrier Dome attendance: 21,925 pic.twitter.com/855MS3ZYJj
— Syracuse Men’s Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) December 28, 2017
A win on Wednesday night in the Dome against Eastern Michigan would put Jim Boeheim’s squad back on track for the most part. An 11-2 non-conference record is about where we all saw things before the year started. And while it may have occurred differently than we assumed, it still provides a solid starting point for the Orange as they hope to return to the NCAA Tournament.
The game is set to tip at 7:00 pm and will air on ESPN 2.
EMU is the second MAC team the Orange face this season. While they played two MAC teams in 2013-14 (Eastern and Western Michigan), the latter was in the NCAA Tournament. SU hasn’t faced two MAC teams in the regular season since 1965-66 (Bowling Green and Kent State). EMU’s Rob Murphy is one of two former Boeheim assistants currently serving as college head coaches — the other is obviously Washington’s Mike Hopkins. Rick Pitino was also on the list until just before this season, when he was let go by Louisville.
MORE SYRACUSE BASKETBALL COVERAGE:
– Syracuse vs. Eastern Michigan: TV/streaming, time, odds, history & more (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse basketball is (probably) going to be alright (NunesMagician.com)
– What went wrong in Syracuse basketball loss to St. Bonaventure? (stats, lineups) (Syracuse.com)
– Syracuse basketball: The Slovakian Army Knife (NunesMagician.com)