Rumors that the state Department of Health closed Ling Ling Chinese Buffet in Geneva are untrue.
According to a Department of Health representative, the restaurant, located at 481 Hamilton Street in Geneva was inspected on June 5th. Rumors around town reported the restaurant was closed due to suspicious meat types found at the site. Department of Health representatives said that is completely untrue.
“The NYSDOH, along with our county and city health departments, routinely conduct unannounced inspections to protect public health by assuring that food service establishments are operated in a manner that eliminates hazards through the proper design and management of these facilities in order to prevent foodborne illnesses,” the department released in a statement this week. “At no time did the Health Department’s Geneva District Office order that Ling Ling Buffet be closed.”
The restaurant was cited for multiple violations including:
- Water/ice: unsafe, unapproved sources, cross connections – critical
- Potentially hazardous foods not kept at or below 45 degrees F during cold holding, except smoked fish not kept at or below 38 degrees F during cold holding – critical
- Potentially hazardous foods not kept at or above 140 degrees F during hot holding – critical
- In use food dispensing utensils not properly stored
- Improper use and storage of clean, sanitized equipment and utensils
- Accurate thermometers not available or used to evaluate refrigerated or heated storage temperatures
- Handwashing facilities inaccessible, improperly located, dirty, in disrepair, improper fixtures, soap, and single service towels or hand drying devices missing
- Floors, walls, ceilings, not smooth, properly constructed, in disrepair, dirty surfaces
A the June 5th inspection, the Department of Health, out of the local Geneva office, reported that violations had been corrected.
The restaurant remains open for business.
Tammy Whitacre is a reporter for FL1 News covering Seneca and Wayne counties. Send news tips to [email protected] and follow @FL1_TWhitacre for the latest.