Richmond blaze leaves five displaced; family dog dies

On Monday at approximately 4:37 pm the Honeoye-Richmond Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire at 4695 County Road 33 in the Town of Richmond.

When firefighters arrived they observed a working fire and requested mutual aid from surrounding areas. A 13-year-old male was the only occupant at the time of the fire and he escaped the structure prior to the arrival of firefighters.

The Honeoye-Richmond Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Bristol, East Bloomfield, Victor, West Bloomfield and Helmock Fire Departments.

The fire was placed under control at 8:13 pm. The American Red Cross responded to assist the occupants. There were no injuries to firefighters. However, due to the remote location, water for firefighting was hauled in from remote sources via tanker trucks.

The two-story residential structure is occupied by two adults and three children — ages 9- to 13-years-old. The home is owned by Paul and Christine Deritis and is insured, according to the Ontario County Emergency Management Office.

The family dog “Henry” a 2-year-old Beagle/Labrador Rescue dog died in the fire. The fire remains under investigation, according to Ontario County Fire Coordinator Jeffrey Harloff.

Initial investigation results reveal that the fire likely began around the stove or microwave oven on the first floor.

Also on FingerLakes1.com