On Friday at approximately 6:56 pm deputies in Ontario County, Hopewell Fire Department and Canandaigua Ambulance responded to 3499 State Route 247 in the Town of Hopewell for the report of fire in a kitchen.
The cause of the fire was found to be cooking oil on the stove top.Keisha Hilkert, 25, of Canandaigua was able to get both of her children out of the house and began waving down traffic on Route 247 for help.
Two bystanders identified as Edwin C. Lloyd III and his wife Courtney M. Lloyd were traveling on Route 247 when they saw Hilkert signaling for help.
After stopping, Edwin C. Lloyd III ran into the smoking residence, grabbed the burning pop, which was engulfed with flames with his bare hands and ran it outside approximately 40 feet before throwing it down in the driveway while Courtney Lloyd tended to Hilkert and her children.
Lloyd was credited with preventing the fire from getting out of control inside the home and was taken via Canandaigua Ambulance to Strong Memorial Hospital. Deputies say he sustained first or second degree burns to his hands in the process of saving the home.
Damage inside the home was limited to the stove-area due to his actions.