Suicidal Waterloo man surrenders after stand-off

On Saturday evening at about 7:28 pm, the Waterloo Police Department responded to 8 Lincoln Street in the Village of Waterloo for a report of suicidal male with a handgun. Upon arrival, officers located Joseph R. Andrews, age 30 of the same address, outside the residence in possession of a handgun. According to police, Andrews was distraught and uncooperative as he refused to comply with their orders and entered the residence with the handgun.After Andrews entered the home a perimeter was set-up around the outside of the Lincoln Street residence with assistance from the Seneca County Sheriff’s Department, the New York State Police and the Seneca Falls Police Department. A police negotiator was able to make contact with Joseph Andrews by cell phone and Andrews refused to voluntarily come out. It was determined through the investigation that Joseph Andrews was the only person in the house at the time.At about 9:40pm police negotiators lost cell phone communication with Joseph Andrews. Numerous unsuccessful attempts were made to re-establish contact with Joseph Andrews over the next several hours while police officers continued to maintain a secure perimeter outside the residence.At about 5:39 am on Sunday, police negotiators were able to regain cell phone communication with Joseph Andrews. Slightly over three hours later, at about 8:54 am, police negotiators were successful in convincing Joseph Andrews to come out of the house without the handgun. After Joseph Andrews exited the house he was taken into custody without incident.The Cayuga County Sheriff’s Department, Waterloo Fire Department, and North Seneca Ambulance also provided support during the incident. The Waterloo Central School District was also helpful in providing office space in their district office near the incident for use as a command post.Andrews was charged with obstructing governmental administration in the second degree (class A misdemeanor), criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree (class D felony) and criminal possession of stolen property in the fourth degree (class E felony). He was arraigned in the Village of Waterloo Court and committed to the Seneca County Correctional Facility on $50,000 bail. He is to return at a later date to answer to the charges.

Also on FingerLakes1.com