Two escape Elizabeth St. house fire in Waterloo

On Wednesday at 6:38 am, the Waterloo Police and Waterloo Fire Departments responded to the report of a house fire at 103 East Elizabeth Street in the Village of Waterloo. Upon the arrival of the Police Department it was reported that the house was full of smoke and the residence inside had made it out safely.Brothers Thomas Villa, age 21 and Alexander Villa, age 19 who reside at the address were both home sleeping when the fire broke out. Thomas woke up to the smell of smoke in his second story bedroom and quickly realized the house was on fire. Thomas was able to open his second story bedroom window and escaped the house by jumping outside to the ground.Alexandra was sleeping in a bedroom on the first floor of the house and was awakened by a family dog in his room. Alexandra reported getting up and smelling smoke and when he opened his bedroom door the house was full of smoke. Alexandra then escaped with the family dog out of the first story window of the home.Waterloo Fire Department quickly extinguished the fire that was contained to the kitchen of the house. The cause of the fire was ruled accidental due to a refrigerator malfunction. Smoke damage was throughout the house and water damage was limited to the first floor and the basement.Border City, Seneca Falls and Fayette Fire departments, North Seneca Ambulance, County Fire Coordinator, Seneca County Code enforcement and NYSEG assisted Waterloo at the scene.The house is owned by Janine A. Villa, of 4723 E. Lake Road, Geneva and is insured. There were no working smoke alarms in the house and no one was injured.

Also on FingerLakes1.com