Structure fire in Ovid caused by BBQ smoker

On Tuesday, Seneca County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to a shed fire at 2167 W. Wycoff Rd, in the Town of Ovid. Ovid Fire Department was assisted at the scene by Lodi and Interlaken Fire Departments. The fire was quickly contained and extinguished. The shed belonged to Jesse R. Steve, 27, of that address. At the residence at the time of the fire was Justin L. Amidon, 30, of the same address. The cause of the fire was deemed accidental and caused by a barbeque smoker that was being operated too close to the structure. Damage was estimated between $5,000 and $10,000 dollars and Steve had insurance on the property. No injuries reported.

Also on FingerLakes1.com