Early morning fire in Canandaigua

Canandaigua, N.Y. — The Canandaigua Fire Department responded to a structure fire just past midnight Sept. 1, to a two-story duplex at 131 W. Gibson Street, said Canandaigua City Fire Chief Mark Marentette. Marentette said the cause of the fire was an electrical problem from an upstairs bedroom in the duplex. He said the bedroom where the fire started was “gutted,” and there was extensive smoke damage to the second floor. There was minor water damage in the room below where the fire originated and there was some minor smoke damage in the adjacent duplex, said Marentette. The duplex with the fire housed three adults, and one female that lived there was taken to a hospital for observation. The second duplex housed two adults and a child, and they were all uninjured, Marentette said. One of the tenants of the second unit of the duplex, Paul Newhook, is a member of the Canandaigua VA fire department and was alerted of the fire in his building when he received an automated text alerting him of the blaze from the second alarm call, Marentette said. A resident in the unit where the fire started was awake at the time, and was all three tenants were able to exit the building. Marentette was unsure if the building’s owner, Bridget Viens, of Palmyra was insured. The fire department’s response time was three minutes and the fire was under control in 15 minutes, Marentette said. The VA and Cheshire Fire departments also were on scene. This was the fifth structure fire within the city of Canandaigua since Aug. 1, Marentette said.

Also on FingerLakes1.com