50 firefighters called to house fire in Montour

The Odessa Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire at 2:03 pm on July 4th at 2001 Mitchell Hollow Road in the Town of Montour.Upon arrival, firefighters found a one story home with an addition. Fire was visible on the exterior of the building.Chief Mike Tomassi requested a 2nd alarm bringing mutual aid from Montour Falls, Mecklenburg and Watkins Glen. Approximately 50 firefighters operated on the scene for approximately three hours. The fire was contained to the area of origin and the ceiling area above it, but that didn’t prevent extensive smoke and water damage which was present in other areas of the home.The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental in nature and was due to an electrical short in a wall.One firefighter suffered heat exhaustion and was transported to Schuyler Hospital by ambulance. No other injuries were reported.The structure was insured but is not habitable at this time. The occupant will be staying with relatives.Schuyler County Fire Investigation Unit assisted at the scene as well.

Also on FingerLakes1.com