Kitchen fire prompts evacuation in Waterloo

10/06/10 at 12:05 A.M. Waterloo Police Dept. and Waterloo Fire Dept. responded to a heat detector fire alarm at 41 Church Street, building E Apt. 5, Elizabeth Crossings, Waterloo. Upon arrival, emergency responders learned that the occupants of the apartment were using a deep fryer on the kitchen burner. The deep fryer oil had ignited and burst into flames causing fire damage to the stove and kitchen cabinets. The kitchen area also received heavy smoke and water damage. The sprinkler system had also activated in the kitchen area. Tenant Renee Babcock, age 23, was using the deep fryer when it caught fire, and she then woke her husband Matthew age 28, whom was sleeping at the time. Matthew then used a fire extinguisher on the fire. The fire was extinguished by the fire extinguisher and the sprinkler system upon arrival of emergency personnel and Matthew, Renee, and their three children ages 1, 3, and 4 were evacuated. The apartment was also occupied by visitors Anthony Babcock age 25, of 65 Church St., Waterloo, and Therese Roussell age 27, and her four children ages 1, 2, 4, and 5, of 2561 Brewer Rd. lot#25, Waterloo, and they were also evacuated from the residence. The downstairs apartment #1, tenant Suzanne Beers and her family were temporarily evacuated due to water entering their apartment from the upstairs apartment. North Seneca Ambulance and Seneca County Code Enforcement responded to the scene. No injuries were reported. The Babcock family did not have renters insurance, and will be staying with family members. The Beers family stated they had renters insurance, and were allowed to re-occupy their residence. The cause of the fire is being ruled accidental.

Also on FingerLakes1.com