Thursday night apartment fire in Ovid

Officials responded with the Ovid Fire Department to 7180 Main Street, apartment 1, in the Village of Ovid, for a apartment fire. Firefighter’s from the Ovid, Interlaken, and Lodi Fire Departments quickly extinguished the blaze. The fire was contained to the kitchen of the apartment. The tenant of the apartment, Heather A. Staples, age 25, was home at the time of the blaze with her two children, Marcus J. McKay, age 8, and Mellakii M. McKay, age 6. All exited the apartment without injury. The apartment, owned by John T. Horrocks Jr., age 39, of 7032 County Road 132A, Ovid, sustained smoke and water damage to the kitchen. The apartment is insured and damage estimates are unknown at this time. The cause of the fire is believed to be from a grease pan on the stove. The Romulus Fire Department provided stand by coverage and South Seneca Ambulance assisted at the scene.

Also on FingerLakes1.com